Quantcast
Welcome to Car Fanatics Forum, Guest! Log In or Sign Up | Members | The Team | FAQ | New Posts

GM will begin talks about taking an around 10 percent stake in Isuzu
04-30-2012, 06:42 AM
GM will begin talks about taking an around 10 percent stake in Isuzu
Source
Photo credit: General Motors
April 30, 2012
By: CF staff

[Image: 6945144332_875f587313_b.jpg]

GM will begin talks about taking an around 10 percent stake in Isuzu, as the two carmakers look to jointly sell commercial vehicles in Asia and in Central and South America, the Nikkei business daily said on Sunday.

If realized, the deal would revive a 35-year capital alliance that was scrapped during GM's 2006 restructuring. It may also prompt Toyota to sell its 5.9 percent stake in the Japanese truck maker because the GM link-up would compete with its own established markets in Asia.

Follow Car Fanatics Forum on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

Follow Car Fanatics Blog on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

04-30-2012, 07:07 AM
RE: GM will begin talks about taking an around 10 percent stake in Isuzu
These minority stake ownership stakes in niche players have tended to be a capital trap for the investing big company in the past. I'm curious about the business case. GM's done better owning GM Korea than ever as a minority player in Daewoo, Izuzu, or a long list of others. Need more information about how GM makes money in the deal.

04-30-2012, 07:46 AM
^^^ Diesels. I'm in the kno that Isuzu via Dmax is getting ready to kick out something real nice to handle GM's new push into the diesel market.. both here and China. I will say that the next Gen GMTs in SUV form.will also be having Diesels as well. Imagine a Tahoe... with Dual-Mode tech.. sporting a 350HP/500lb torque diesel getting 35MPG.badass Not to mention a slew of normally unlikely cars getting diesel tech from GM's tie-up with PSA.

Dearly beloved, we have gathered here today...to get through this thing called life badass
04-30-2012, 07:51 AM
OH!!! And it doesn't hurt that Isuzu would ratrher have GM with a majority stake than Toyota. Toyota is SHIT

Dearly beloved, we have gathered here today...to get through this thing called life badass
04-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Diesels makes some sense, particularly in trucks given Isuzu's reputation for diesels. If it's a technology buy I can see it.

It can't be a market access to Japan buy. One, Japan is saturated. Two, Japan is both de facto and de jure biased in favor of domestic producers.

I could also see some Asian countries where Isuzu trucks are well positioned where Isuzu needs more horsepower marketing or more offerings like an Isuzu diesel powered world Colorado.

But it still means capital tied up in an illiquid (inflexible) form. I hope it works out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Toyota i-Road prototypes to begin testing car fanatics 0 204 03-22-2014 10:29 PM
Last Post: car fanatics
  Secret Service taking bids for new presidential limo car fanatics 10 255 03-14-2014 09:52 AM
Last Post: Scout
  Less than 30 percent of Kia's U.S. dealers will sell the K900 car fanatics 0 238 03-01-2014 03:36 AM
Last Post: car fanatics

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)