Quantcast
Welcome to Car Fanatics Forum! Log In Sign Up or Login with Facebook Login with TwitterNew Posts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When it comes to used cars, how many miles is too much (+other stuff)
03-06-2012, 08:09 PM
When it comes to used cars, how many miles is too much (+other stuff)
I'm actually asking this seriously, because in all honestly, while you once in awhile see the right car at the wrong time (Ex: a '08 S2k with 20k miles for $XX,XXX), unless your willing to take a road trip 3+ states away or will hunt to the depths of the internet for the PERFECT car, you'll consider what you see around you and that said, what do you consider when looking at a used car.

I figure Nerb being a salesman at Nissan, if they get a nice tuner (350/370z for example), figure I'd lean towards a used car so I can own it and play with it as I please, so that said, whats what basically when looking at a used (Sports/Muscle) Car

Thanks guys :smile:

Don, '07 A4 Quattro: Apikol Snub Mount, 034 low vibe snub bracket, 034 Motor Mounts x2, 034 trans mount, OEM refrigerated glove box cooler, Optima Redtop, NKG Iridium IX Spark plugs(4), K&N Drop in Filter. More to come

03-07-2012, 12:10 AM
RE: When it comes to used cars, how many miles is too much (+other stuff)
Mikey, you're killing me with every post mentioning your desire to "tune" a car.

It just sounds like a poor way to describe why you are "ricing" your car.

[Image: PAFCL_v4_slices_1024x1024.png?2206]
03-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Naw, dont wanna rice, I wanna start off with basic bolt ons followed by reinforcing the engine along with suspension, tires and brakes. Riceist shit I got in mind is painting the brake calipers or redoing the interior or getting a black or bronzed wheel (like Volks), maybe a functional body kit tops. The neons are for the sigs and games only

But still, I digress. Just in general, what factors does on consider when looking for a used car, is there a mileage rule or naw?

Don, '07 A4 Quattro: Apikol Snub Mount, 034 low vibe snub bracket, 034 Motor Mounts x2, 034 trans mount, OEM refrigerated glove box cooler, Optima Redtop, NKG Iridium IX Spark plugs(4), K&N Drop in Filter. More to come
03-07-2012, 06:22 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 06:23 AM by Gixser995.)
Just giving you a hard time. rofl
For me it depends on the year of the car. In general I don't want to buy anything with more than 120k, with cars newer than 05, I wouldn't want anything over 90k, and newer than 07 no more than 60k.

[Image: PAFCL_v4_slices_1024x1024.png?2206]
03-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Gotcha man, makes sense :smile:

03-09-2012, 12:05 AM
If you want to "tune" something yo, you'd be best off obviously to get something with sky high miles, because most of the stuff is going to need work on it anyway, plus you won't have too much money invested into it if something goes wrong. Then once you're good at it, then worry about tuning a better car like a newer Mustang or GTI or something.

[Image: FuSig.jpg]
08-07-2012, 12:45 AM
The golden rule is 15K/year. So, if you're looking at an '08, then something less than 60K preferably, perhaps upwards of 75K.

I write about auto news, mostly here and here...
08-07-2012, 12:53 AM
If it's a Used Chebbie I wouldn't take anything past 1 mile. beer

DON'T DRINK THE KOOLAID

[Image: kool_aid.gif]
08-07-2012, 05:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 05:33 AM by The 'Burg.)
iDream Theater;186740 Wrote:If you want to "tune" something yo, you'd be best off obviously to get something with sky high miles, because most of the stuff is going to need work on it anyway, plus you won't have too much money invested into it if something goes wrong. Then once you're good at it, then worry about tuning a better car like a newer Mustang or GTI or something.

Hmmm... sounds like the same advice I gave Mike two years ago when I told him to look at buying used instead of leasing new.

Mike - most important thing to consider is your budget. How much cash do you have? Next - how far are you willing to travel to get it? Finally, what are your top 3 choices? Then search within those parameters, see what's available and find the car you like the most.

The best car might have high mileage. You have to evaluate your choices on a case-by-case basis. If you plan on really getting into the engine, then a high-miler is not a problem. Also consider the history of the cars you are looking at as a factor. My Volvo had 170K miles on it when I bought it and this did not concern me. I knew Volvos will run a long time so mileage was not a factor. I put 46K miles on that car without it costing me anything. Once it started to require big bucks, I dumped it. But I also had no intentions of tuning it. If I had, I would have sent a couple paychecks directly to iPd.

BUT - the best advice I can give you is this: Don't do a thing without talking to me first. widesmile

[Image: burgsig2-1.jpg]
08-07-2012, 12:21 PM
The 'Burg;223856 Wrote:
iDream Theater;186740 Wrote:If you want to "tune" something yo, you'd be best off obviously to get something with sky high miles, because most of the stuff is going to need work on it anyway, plus you won't have too much money invested into it if something goes wrong. Then once you're good at it, then worry about tuning a better car like a newer Mustang or GTI or something.

Hmmm... sounds like the same advice I gave Mike two years ago when I told him to look at buying used instead of leasing new.

Mike - most important thing to consider is your budget. How much cash do you have? Next - how far are you willing to travel to get it? Finally, what are your top 3 choices? Then search within those parameters, see what's available and find the car you like the most.

The best car might have high mileage. You have to evaluate your choices on a case-by-case basis. If you plan on really getting into the engine, then a high-miler is not a problem. Also consider the history of the cars you are looking at as a factor. My Volvo had 170K miles on it when I bought it and this did not concern me. I knew Volvos will run a long time so mileage was not a factor. I put 46K miles on that car without it costing me anything. Once it started to require big bucks, I dumped it. But I also had no intentions of tuning it. If I had, I would have sent a couple paychecks directly to iPd.

BUT - the best advice I can give you is this: Don't do a thing without talking to me first. widesmile

Course man, gotta lotta questions to ask ya anyway, so hope you got time to answer them

How's work btw bossman?

08-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Really depends. I'm looking between three used cars at the moment, a 2008-09 Pontiac G8 GT, a 2004-07 CTS-V, and a 2000-02 Lincoln LS V8.

For the G8 GT, 60K is tops for me. Figure the average driver goes between 10-15K miles, that is kind of high. I preferably want to end up at 45K or lower.
For the V, it would probably have less miles. I'm looking right now at under 75K.
For the LS, I'd prefer under 100K.

Use the 10-15K annual rule, and then find your cap. And for the love of God, stop frakking saying tune.

All-Or-Nothing;223851 Wrote:If it's a Used Chebbie I wouldn't take anything past 1 mile. beer

Douche beer
08-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Quick question: For used lots, for a car that's $7k or under, what qualifies for a purchase when I got a good job, thinking of at least $300-500 down payment and I got a solid job

08-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Depends, what is your credit like?
08-07-2012, 01:06 PM
idk, decent at best and talking about a used lot

08-07-2012, 02:55 PM
It depends on the car. If it is a Toyota or Buick, you know the owner is old as dirt, took good care of it, and didn't drive it too hard, so no big worries. Just an example.
If you are looking for something to tune, check the aftermarket and do a little research to see what car(s) would fit your budget.

"I think I taw a puddy tat I did I did taw a puddy tat!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  It was a bad day today (not selling cars anymore) greyhairedpete 95 11,142 07-26-2013 06:25 AM
Last Post: Ariel
  '82 280zx for sale, only 66k miles Speed Devil 5 948 03-04-2013 05:07 PM
Last Post: bluestinger66
  Bees like White cars greyhairedpete 1 692 07-16-2011 08:43 AM
Last Post: Scout

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)